Sapa’s advanced design aluminum bridge decking offers unmatched advantages over traditional steel and concrete construction:
- Reduced lifecycle costs from initial installation throughout the life of the bridge:
- Limited traffic interruption, reduced car and truck user costs, and lower traffic control costs
- Lower maintenance costs from epoxy and aggregate bonded wearing surface compared to concrete deck repairs or replacement
- Never needs painting even in the presence of deicing salts (100+ year bridge life without paint), is recyclable (and potentially reusable)
- Light weight (25 pounds per square foot) decreases dead load. Aluminum deck is up to 75% lighter than steel with concrete, allowing for widening of functionally obsolete bridges using the existing substructure. Many bridges not currently rated to carry trucks, buses and some emergency vehicles can be opened to such traffic.
- “Deployment Ready” technology can be preassembled for rapid bridge deck or whole bridge replacement.
- Facilitates rehabilitation versus replacement.
- Aluminum is the environmentally friendly “green” metal. Sapa bridge decking contains significant recycled content and is easily and profitably recycled - 75 percent of all aluminum produced since 1888 is still in use!
- Designed around infinite fatigue life using AASHTO Specifications for aluminum bridges.