The AR School Awards celebrate “the most exciting places of learning in the world,” and judges evaluated submissions from as far afield as Portugal, China and Afghanistan. Whitehorse Manor was praised for its “material beauty” and “spatial configuration,” with the judges adding that “the interventions have transformed a Victorian school into something that feels incredibly contemporary and incredibly liberating.”
The AR Awards are dedicated to commending and celebrating design excellence and innovation across a range of building types. Categories in 2015 included House, Schools, Culture, Work and Faith.
Whitehorse Manor Junior and Infant Schools in Croydon were extensively remodeled and expanded to create an inspiring academy in a £4.5m project. The project, designed by architects Hayhurst & Co, has already won a number of awards for architecture and design excellence.
Fabricated and installed by Everglade Windows, a range of Technal’s façade systems were specified for both phases of the project:
- Fixed light windows in varying sizes were installed into the building’s striking gold shingle cladding and into the pitched roof for the nursery
- Ribbon windows wrap around the nursery, set into curtain walling, to maximize natural light
- Sloped glazing was constructed from GEODE-MX curtain walling for the stairwells with complex detailing to the corner edges to meet the architects’ design criteria
- GEODE-MX grid curtain walling was used on all elevations and to provide roof glazing above the new entrance, with casement window inserts for natural ventilation
- Casement door systems in both manual and automatic configurations were supplied for the main entrance into curtain walling, and for access to the courtyard, nursery and upper-floor play deck
James Wilson, Technal’s marketing manager in the UK, says the brand is “absolutely delighted to be associated with a project that has achieved such national and international acclaim.
"This is a wonderful place of learning for young people and we offer our sincerest congratulations to the architectural team for their outstanding design.”